Single stage steam turbines can be found at oil refineries, fertilizer plants and (petro) chemical plants as a driver for pumps, blowers and other rotating process equipment.
Maintenance Partners has all the expertise needed for complete overhauls, repairs, reconditioning, upgrades and modifications of single stage steam turbines, regardless of type or make. In addition, Maintenance Partners also offers spare parts, from seals to rotors and complete single stage steam turbines.
Single Stage Steam Turbine Brands Served:
As an independent service provider, we provide services for single stage steam turbines of any brand or manufacturer, including:
|Bellis & Morcom
|KKK (KK&K / Kühnle, Kopp & Kausch / Howden)
Inspections & Overhauls
The first step when repairing a single stage steam turbine is the inspection. Inspections include:
- Visual inspection
- Measuring axial positions and clearances
- Rotor inspection according to API687 standard
- Disassembly + visual inspection of parts
- Dimensional measurements
- Check of probes and sensors (if present)
- Oil sampling & check
- Recommendations for repair
After approval of the recommendations for repair, the execution of the repair or overhaul begins. The scope of work may vary, but can include:
- Rotor balancing
- Install rotor and adjust turbine
- Install new carbon rings
- Install Woodward governor
- Install plugs, drain piping, cooling water lines, governor linkage etc.
- Test run and overspeed setting on pressurized air when possible
- Overhaul and Functional testing of Woodward governor
- Final testing
For single stage steam turbines, Maintenance Partners can offer new and reconditioned parts. We also offers reverse engineering of parts that cannot be obtained. Parts that Maintenance Partners can re-engineer include:
- Reversing blades
- Bearing design
- Partition plates in stuffing boxes
Our spare parts are manufactured according to the most stringent standards and are 100% compatible. We combine the highest standards of turbo machinery knowledge with an in-depth understanding of material specifications, manufacturing standards and tolerances:
- Fast delivery
- Inhouse engineering
- Inhouse manufacturing
Modifications & Upgrades
A common problem in single stage steam turbines is the leaking steam from the standard installed carbon seal rings will enter the bearing houses. The penetration of steam into the bearing houses will contaminate the lubrication oil, reduces lubrication properties and will increase the risk of bearing failures.
There are several alternative sealing designs on the market to prevent the leaking steam entering the bearing houses. However, not all alternative options are equally successful.
Maintenance Partners is offers a solution to modify the bearing houses and turbine stuffing boxes. At the stuffing boxes we exchange a number of standard carbon sealing rings by ”floating brush seals” and apply a hard-wearing coating at the turbine rotor seal locations.
The modification is carried out in combination with the installation of ”bearing insulators” in the lower houses. To complete the modification we will install ‘’bearing isolators’’ in the bearing houses as an alternative for the standard installed (aluminum) labyrinth bushings
This modification offers the following benefits:
- Reduction of maintenance, downtime and steam losses
- Prevents damages to bearings and rotor
- Prevents steam leakage to the atmosphere
- Contaminants and leaking steam from the stuffing boxes will be captured in the outer part of the bearing insulator and driven out via a channel using centrifugal forces
- The turbine oil in the bearing housing will be collected in the inner part of the bearing insulator and flows back into the bearing housing and a ensures the oil sealing between bearing housing and turbine shaft
Maintenance Partners was contacted by a customer after the breakdown of a single stage steam turbine. The damage to the turbine was severe: the bearing housings, the pinion and bull gear teeth were damaged. To make matters worse, the top casing was cracked. Several parties advised the customer that the turbine was a total loss and the only solution was to replace the entire turbine.
Maintenance Partners, however, never says no to a challenge. Our experts found a solution and proposed the customer to repair the turbine. Repairing the turbine proved to be much quicker and more economical than replacing the turbine by a new one.
Read the full article at this page.
Are you interested in lowering your maintenance costs or improving the reliability of your single stage steam turbines? Call us at +32(0)3 541 7140 or send us a message using the form below: